Rhubarb Cornbread Stuffing
This distinctive stuffing is awesome alongside ham, chicken or turkey. I've been a rhubarb fan since I was a girl, so when a friend suggested this recipe, I had to try it. Now when I serve this side dish, my guests are usually curious about my special ingredient...and they love it! -Kathy Petrullo, Long Island City, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 5 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces), thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 3 cups crushed corn bread stuffing
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, toss rhubarb and sugar; set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender; add to rhubarb mixture. Stir in stuffing and walnuts.
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat; pour over the stuffing mixture and toss lightly.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. shallow baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until stuffing is heated through and top is lightly browned. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 305 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Cornbread Stuffing in Taste of Home April/May 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.