Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- Additional sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add rhubarb and strawberries; toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto fruit. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 226 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
May 31, 2015
May 26, 2012
Made this excellent recipe late one Saturday... you know when you're craving something sweet, starting a diet on Monday and have lots of strawberries and rhubarb to use up. I baked it in a round 8" glass cake pan making 8 biscuits. The topping, like Bisquick shortcake, was very tender and delicious. I pulled the butter from the freezer and chopped it up with a big knife before incorporating it well into the flour mixture. Filling was just right too. Top with whipped cream Yum! Only thing I heard from my husband was "WOW!!! Oh honey this is great!"
May 12, 2012
Unlike other reviewers I found this recipe to be too sweet for my family's taste. However, it is very good and easy. I will make again with less sugar.
Jun 11, 2011
This is so delicious! I think this is my favorite strawberry recipe so far. I like that it's not so sickly sweet like most rhubarb recipes. I've already made it twice (in one week) and my family loves it!
Mar 13, 2011
Very easy and tasty recipe, also not too sweet.
Jul 5, 2010
It wouldn't be my first choice but if I did make it again I might try to change it up a bit. Seemed too tart and bitter.
May 31, 2009
Made this yesterday with rhubarb from our CSA. It was delicious! The compote was so good, might make just that next time for ice cream, French toast...The biscuits were tender, but I forgot to sprinkle with sugar before baking. A golden sugar crust would have made them even better!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.