- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Rhubarb Custard Bars
"My family loved these bars! I wish I would have halved the recipe and cooked in a 9x9 or 8x8 pan. These bars are very rich!"
"Has anyone tried making these, up to the frosting step, and freezing them? Just wondering if that would work, then thaw & put the ream cheese mixture on then."
"I had been wanting to make these bars for some time and I'm so glad I finally tried them! They are outstanding! I cut the recipe in half for the two of us and baked them in an 8x8-inch pan. I also added a sprinkling of nutmeg (my grandma always did that with her rhubarb desserts). I can see why this is a Top Ten Rhubarb recipe and Dessert recipe! I will definitely be making these delicious bars again!"
"I saw this recipe last year but I ran out of rhubarb before I could make it. Tried it for the first time today WOW! It is awesome. Made just as recipe calls for. Wouldn't change a thing! Gave some to friends and they are all asking for the recipe. Will make these again."
"I'm pretty sure these bars changed my life."