- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white baking chips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, food coloring and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt baking chips with oil; stir until smooth. Spoon a scant teaspoon filling into each cookie. Drizzle tops with remaining mixture. Sprinkle with peppermint candies. Let stand until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Red Velvet Peppermint Thumbprints
"these were a big hit"
"We love this cookie....although we substituted chopped Andes Mints...for the candy cane! Wow...4 dozen was not enough...must double this recipe!"
"These cookies turned out great and look pretty, too. I think they would be fine without the crushed mints. Most of it fell off anyway."