- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white baking chips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, food coloring and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt baking chips with oil; stir until smooth. Spoon a scant teaspoon filling into each cookie. Drizzle tops with remaining mixture. Sprinkle with peppermint candies. Let stand until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Red Velvet Peppermint Thumbprints
Sort By :
"Adding this recipe to my countdown-to-Christmas cookie tradition (starting december 1st)...however, I will use Hershey's Peppermint Kisses instead of the melted choc and candy. Love the red velvet idea--very pretty. :)"
"I made these as a new Christmas cookie this year and everyone loved them. They are now going to be a permanent fixture. Thanks for the great recipe!"
"These cookies turned out great and look pretty, too. I think they would be fine without the crushed mints. Most of it fell off anyway."
"Indentations did not stay while baking even though I used a wooden handle and made them deep. Had to press centers in while they were warm and that worked okay. I'm not a big fan of mint so I don't consider these a favorite. Made them to take to a Christmas party because they look pretty."