- 17 chocolate cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the sour cream, buttermilk, cocoa and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in food coloring. Pour over crust. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost top of cheesecake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forRed Velvet Cheesecake
"Very pretty, and fairly tasty, but the bake time, as others have said, is way off. Mine took over 40 minutes more. Perhaps this should be baked at 425 for 10 minutes, then 250 for another 50, like the directions for a New York cheesecake? Also, I think a sour cream topping would have been better, particularly in terms of texture, than the cream cheese frosting.. Overall, it was a nice novelty, and the novelty factor will be the only reason I make it again."
"Delicious and so much flavor .... Perfect Valentine cake. My kids and husband simply loved it"
"Loved this cheesecake! The crust should be baked first since mine was soggy. It also needs more cooking time. Next time I will try a 10 inch pan. The flavor and texture was very good, I used a dark cocoa powder in mine. I will make this again, but with a few tweeks."
"Delicious!!! Cheesecake was easy and so so yummy. It did take about 75 minutes to cook fully. And my best recommendation is to bake your crust first. I baked mine for 10 minutes and let it cool completely before adding the cheesecake mixture. Chilled for 24 hours and then frosted. EVERYONE loved this cheesecake. Great consistency and lovely flavor. Not too rich. I can't wait to make it again."
"Very disappointed. I've made many different kinds of cheesecakes, but this one didn't turn out. I baked it for about 30-40 minutes longer than the recipe says, and I had to take it out because I needed to leave. I put it in the fridge and the next day I discovered that it wasn't cooked all the way through and I couldn't get it off the springform pan without it falling apart. I'm thinking that maybe the temperature should be 350, not 325? I ended up buying a frozen cheesecake since it was for a Christmas "event"."
"I never use the water bath when making cheesecake. Used chocolate graham crackers for the crust, didn't add as much food coloring after reading comments, added melted white chocolate to the frosting and toasted pecans on top. It turned out perfect, was done at 50 minutes. And was all gone by end of day. The cheesecake was very creamy and had a great cheesecake taste. Thank you, family favorite now!"
"This would make an excellent **celebration dessert**. Veryimpressive!"
"With regard to those who had a soggy crust as a result, my thoughts are that the 'crushed' cookie should NOT have the cream filled center in it. I remove mine in all recipes before baking a crust. It is full of lard, which in my opinion, the result would be a soggy crust. Also; the amount of the food coloring is a bit much, so I cut back on mine and continued to add until I had the color I wanted. Hope this helps any who were discouraged and maybe you'll try it again. ;-) SSS"
"This recipe is very delicious. Everyone said how good it was. The one thing that I don't like about it is that it is too soft. I follow the recipe exactly as it is written and the crust was soggy and the cake was to soft, even after being refrigerated over night. In the picture the cheesecake appears to be firm. Is there something that I not doing?"