Quinoa Pilaf Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- In a small nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion and carrot in oil for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and salt; bring to a boil.
- Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Quinoa Pilaf(7)
Sort By :
I make this frequently when I want to change up the side dish habit away from potatoes or rice. I've also diced up broccoli and zucchini to add in. I also replaced the 1/4 cup of water with a 1/4 of white wine or chicken broth.
I love quinoa! It is so versatile and healthy. You can add anything to it. I have added every vegetable in my fridge to it, mixed it with vegetable, chicken and beef broth. It's great as a side or as a main course, with or without meat.
Very easy to make and went perfect with some steaks we had.
Tried this recipe for my first attempt at ever making or eating Quinoa. I used baby carrots in the recipe (thats what I had on hand) and I thought it was delicious. A good base recipe to add things too like green scallions or whatnot. It did take a longer time than stated to cook all of the broth out but this recipe made me fall in love with this healthy grain! Thanks for sharing it!
I used more carrots and more onions, so that I could count this as a starch and a veggie, and it was blah. It definitely needs something green (like in the picture) and needs something more for flavor. Not sure what, but will probably try again.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Grains Side Dish Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >