- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pumpkin (10 to 12 pounds)
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons oil. Add water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in bouillon and tomatoes. Wash pumpkin; cut to 6 to 8 in. circle around top stem. Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loosen fibers from inside.
- Place pumpkin in a shallow sturdy baking pan. Spoon stew into pumpkin and replace top. Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil. Bake at 325° for 2 hours or just until the pumpkin is tender (do not overbake). Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Pumpkin Stew
"I love, Love, LOVE this dish! Oh gosh.. Here's what I did. I didn't have a dutch oven, so I put all of the ingredients in the slow cooker. I also cut the pumpkin up and put chunks of it in with the other stew ingredients. I cooked it over low for 6 hours and it was great. This would make a great fall dish but it's great all winter! You could also sub in butternut squash instead of pumpkin if you didn't have it."
"This recipe was awesome!!!! I added butternut squash and a little more salt and pepper. It got done earlier than the whole 4 hour process. This was a hit,everyone loved it. It's definitely going to be our new fall tradition!!!!"
"FABULOUS! It makes the pumpkin taste just like stew."
"This was soooo good!!!"
"I used this recipe when it first came out, for an event I catered. Everyone was thrilled as it made a spectacular presentation!"