Dinner in a Pumpkin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 medium pie pumpkins (2-1/2 pounds each)
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash each pumpkin; cut a 4-in. circle around stem. Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loose fibers from inside. Place pumpkins in a shallow sturdy baking pan; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the soup, mushrooms, soy sauce and brown sugar. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Fold in rice; spoon into pumpkins and replace tops. Brush outsides of pumpkins with oil.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or just until pumpkin is tender (do not overbake). Place on individual serving plates.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 559 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1714mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Oct 19, 2015
My family loved this fun dinner. I used 4 2lb pumpkins, 1 lb ground beef, 1lb Italian sausage, and a few more spices (Cajun, pepper, dash of hot sauce). I also added 2 tb spoons of worchestshire sauce and 1/2 cup Parmesan in mix and sprinkled some on top of each pumpkin. I didn't have cream of chicken, so I used cream of mushroom. It came together very easy, but looked very fancy.
Nov 1, 2012
you don't need 4 medium pumpkins. I think next time I will make it in one Medium pumpkin or you could use four small pumpkins. It looks amazing when it comes out of the over and it's really yummy! :)
Oct 21, 2012
good recipe--maybe would salt and/or sugar the inside of the pumpkin before baking. I have a lot of pumpkin left over and will make pumpkin soup out of it; also have a lot of left over filling. I would recommend this meal through the holidays :-)
Oct 8, 2011
I make this every year for a group of teenagers. They LOVE it. It also weirds them out. It's easy and fun to make your own variations on the recipe.