Dinner in a Pumpkin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 medium pie pumpkins (2-1/2 pounds each)
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash each pumpkin; cut a 4-in. circle around stem. Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loose fibers from inside. Place pumpkins in a shallow sturdy baking pan; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the soup, mushrooms, soy sauce and brown sugar. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Fold in rice; spoon into pumpkins and replace tops. Brush outsides of pumpkins with oil.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or just until pumpkin is tender (do not overbake). Place on individual serving plates.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 559 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1714mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Oct 19, 2015
My family loved this fun dinner. I used 4 2lb pumpkins, 1 lb ground beef, 1lb Italian sausage, and a few more spices (Cajun, pepper, dash of hot sauce). I also added 2 tb spoons of worchestshire sauce and 1/2 cup Parmesan in mix and sprinkled some on top of each pumpkin. I didn't have cream of chicken, so I used cream of mushroom. It came together very easy, but looked very fancy.
Nov 1, 2012
you don't need 4 medium pumpkins. I think next time I will make it in one Medium pumpkin or you could use four small pumpkins. It looks amazing when it comes out of the over and it's really yummy! :)
Oct 21, 2012
good recipe--maybe would salt and/or sugar the inside of the pumpkin before baking. I have a lot of pumpkin left over and will make pumpkin soup out of it; also have a lot of left over filling. I would recommend this meal through the holidays :-)
Oct 8, 2011
I make this every year for a group of teenagers. They LOVE it. It also weirds them out. It's easy and fun to make your own variations on the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.