- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine the pumpkin, oil, eggs and water; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined; fold in the pecans.
- Spoon into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For glaze, combine the butter, sugars and cream in a saucepan. Cook until sugar is dissolved. Cool for 20 minutes. Stir in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cooled loaves. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Pumpkin Pecan Loaves
"I've made many pumpkin breads, muffins, etc. This one is disappointing. There's too much sugar, which masks the flavors that make pumpkin bread so wonderful. And that's before adding the glaze! Keep searching--there are plenty of better recipes out there.Also, the glaze is not white."
"Delicious! And all items I had in my fridge/pantry, except for the cream. The loaf is also good without the icing (though it gives a grander appearance and richer taste), or the icing could easily be halved because with the given amount is enough to coat the loaves and still have leftovers."
"This has been my go-to pumpkin bread recipe for years. The icing is so delicious and the bread is moist and flavorful. Works well for mini loaves or muffins too."
"Best pumpkin bread. The caramel glaze makes it a special treat, and the loaves raise beautifully. I made it in smaller loaves, and got 6 for gift giving."
"I have made this recipe for years. It is by far the best pumpkin recipe that I have ever had. My family and friends ask me to make this every fall."
"I need to ask a question and cannot find where to do that. I make this and get raves but would like to put it in small loaf pans as gifts...How many would this make and how long do I approximatelly cook?"
"I make these loaves every year during the fall season and they fill the house with warm, pumpkin-y goodness."
"I have made this recipe over and over since I first saw it in our magazine. It is moist and delicious both with he caramel icing and without. You will not regret making this awesome loaf to share around your table :) guaranteed!!!!!"
"I have been making these loaves for holiday get together and also selling them for others to enjoy around their holiday tables. They are moist and delicious. I would never try another recipe because this one is the absolute best ever!"