- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie filling
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, butter and egg until crumbly. Set aside 2/3 cup for topping. Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine the pumpkin pie filling, milk and eggs; pour over crust.
- For topping, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and reserved crumb mixture; sprinkle over pumpkin layer.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Dessert
Sort By :
"I found this to be just okay. It was easy to make, but the pumpkin layer is not sweet at all and has a kind of pasty texture. I guess I was expecting it to be more pumpkin pie-ish. My husband put whipped cream on his and said it was good. Not sure if I would make again."
"I suspect something was not quite right when I did the recipe. Although I have re-read it several time, and did not mess up the ingrediants. When I added the cake mix, MELTED butter and egg- it became very batter like, not crumbs. I used a Duncan Hines mix. So, I added a couple table spoons of Bisquick to try and make it more crumbly. I am sure that was a mistake. I am thinking that is should have been softened butter to make crumbs. Oh well, it is ok-but I think it would have been better with a shortbread crumb like texture."
"This is the BEST mistake I ever made! I mistakenly purchased 'pumpkin pie filling' instead of pumpkin puree. I made this dessert so as not to waste the purchase. I'm glad I did! It was a hit. They make a great dessert topped with whipped cream but can also be cut nicely into squares and served on a cookie platter or at a bunch. This recipe works equally well with yellow, butter or spice cake mix. Using a carrot cake mix added extra color diversity because of he little specs of carrots in the mix, looked very fall like. I will be making this "mistake" for many years to come!!"
"This was really easy to make. I took this to a bake sale fundraiser at work and it was a big hit - whole pan went for $75. Now they're asking for the recipe."
"let it cool just a bit and then eat it warm with some whipped cream!"