- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-1/4 cups canola oil
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, oil, chocolate and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chips.
- Transfer to three greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Wrap and freeze for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 loaves.
Reviews for Pumpkin Chocolate Loaf
"I just made these loaves this afternoon and they are absolutely delicious. They are easy to prepare but you do need a large bowl to mix it in. My husband has already eaten two big pieces but I love having two more loaves to pop in the freezer for later. I will be making this recipe again and again. Definitely a five star recipe."
"My family loves this recipe it makes such a wonderful smell in the house while baking. One year I made mini loaves and gave them as gifts for our siblings."
"I made these loaves for Thanksgiving, and they were such a hit that several of my guests were already reserving slices to take home for later. I added walnuts and served some plain and some with a buttermilk glaze on top, and they were all devoured. They were so thoroughly enjoyed that I've already been given "hints" on what I should give as Christmas gifts this year! I will definitely be making these many more times."
"I make these loaves and give them out and freeze some so I have plenty. They make a great snack."
"Excellent! The whole house smells wonderful when this is baking and we can hardly wait for it to cool enough to slice. Tons of flavor. Thanks!"
"Simply Awesome ! We baked this last year and passed out during the season. Instead of 3 regular size pans we used the smaller loaf pans and it works out perfect to pass around."
"This was such a simple recipe to follow and it turned out great! I loved the chocolate and pumpkin combination. I like it best while still warm from the oven! I served it at a family gathering and everyone seemed to love it - one person would have omitted the chocolate and added nuts instead - but I loved it just as it is!"
"I make this yummy loaf every year to give as gifts and take to gatherings. Everyone raves over it. So moist and just plain yummy. My daughter said yesterday that it is getting to the season to make that great pumpkin bread!"