- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, orange, almond, lemon or coconut extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pink, orange and yellow gel food coloring
- Wooden skewers or pop sticks
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into three portions. Tint each portion as desired with food coloring; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Between pieces of waxed paper, roll out each portion into a 12x4-in. rectangle. Remove pieces of waxed paper. Stack colored rectangles on top of each other to form one thick rectangle. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut rectangle crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Shape slices into 6-in. rectangles, gently pressing colors together. Coil strip into a spiral shape. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Decorate with sprinkles along edge of cookies. Bake 8-10 minutes or until set.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. While cookie is still soft, insert a wooden skewer or pop stick into each cookie. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Pinwheel Pops in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2016
Reviews for Pinwheel Pops
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review