Chive Pinwheel Rolls
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 large Nellie’s Free Range Egg
- CHIVE FILLING:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup minced chives
- 1 large egg yolk
- Butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk, oil, water and mashed potatoes to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, for 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Roll into a 15x10-in. rectangle. In a bowl, combine sour cream, chives and egg yolk. Spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 1-in. slices. Place cut side down in a 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 214 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 28, 2017
Unfortunately, I was not impressed with this recipe despite how promising it sounded. I had a bumper crop of chives and I really wanted to like. The roll part was good but the filling was bland and did not meld well with the bread.
Sep 13, 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.