"This recipe looks hard, but it isn't," confides Michelle Smith of Sykesville, Maryland. "People will think you spent hours working on this pretty melt-in-your-mouth sponge cake."
- 7 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups orange marmalade or apricot spreadable fruit
- Orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches), optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat the paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in sugar. Stir in the orange peel, lemon juice and vanilla. Sift flour and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread marmalade evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Dust with remaining confectioners' sugar. Garnish with orange peel strips if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Orange Sponge Cake Roll in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p33
Reviews for Orange Sponge Cake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 8, 2013
Reviewed Aug. 8, 2013
"Absolutely delish! I used a strawberry glaze instead of the marmalade. This was easier than I thought for my first cake roll."