- 2 medium oranges
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 medium lemon
- Grease and lightly flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan; set aside.
- Finely grate the peel from the oranges; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in reserved orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, squeeze juice from the oranges and lemon. In a small saucepan, combine the juices with the remaining sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half. Remove from the heat.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes longer. Place rack on waxed paper. Brush warm cake with glaze. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Glazed Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p151
Reviews for Orange-Glazed Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review