- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Toss dates with 1/4 cup flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in orange peel. Combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates and nuts.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For glaze, combine orange juice and confectioners' sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Poke holes in cake top. Drizzle glaze over top and sides of cake; cool completely before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Date Nut Cake in Country Extra November 2008, p51
Reviews for Orange-Date Nut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review