One of my fondest memories as a child was the scent of this cake cooling on my mom’s dining room table. For those who like dates, nuts and oranges, it is heavenly. Teresa Switzer, Fayetteville, Georgia
Featured In: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toss dates with 1/4 cup flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in orange peel. Combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates and nuts.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For glaze, combine orange juice and confectioners' sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Poke holes in cake top. Drizzle glaze over top and sides of cake; cool completely before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Date Nut Cake in Country Extra November 2008, p51
Reviews for Orange-Date Nut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review