"Fresh herbs really make the difference in the flavor of this low-fat vegetarian soup," notes Lisa Blackwell from Henderson, North Carolina. "It tastes especially delicious when it's could out," she adds.
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2-2/3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 cups diced seeded plum tomatoes
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the tomato juice, water, basil, oregano, sugar and celery salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes; cook 10 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Onion Tomato Soup in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p11
Reviews for Onion Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 8, 2010
"This soup is my kryptonite! I love it so much I've already made it half a dozen times!"