Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake Recipe
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb and 1 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour rhubarb mixture over batter. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake(6)
Sort By :
loved it. great warm with vanilla ice cream easy to make
Sounds good, but why is this called a pudding cake? Is there pudding in it?
Very yummy - thanks for sharing!
Excellent recipe, the cake was very light and cakey, very nice, will make again, tastes better than the "rhubarb dessert cake" posted here.
My husband isn't a fan of rhubarb, but I snuck this one in and he loved it. My father-in-law requests it and my sons love it too!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Jello Pudding Cake >
- Mother's Day Dessert Recipes >