Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake Recipe
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb and 1 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour rhubarb mixture over batter. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake
Sort By :
"loved it. great warm with vanilla ice cream easy to make"
"Sounds good, but why is this called a pudding cake? Is there pudding in it?"
"Very yummy - thanks for sharing!"
"Excellent recipe, the cake was very light and cakey, very nice, will make again, tastes better than the "rhubarb dessert cake" posted here."
"My husband isn't a fan of rhubarb, but I snuck this one in and he loved it. My father-in-law requests it and my sons love it too!CB-Burlington, KY"