Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake Recipe
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb and 1 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour rhubarb mixture over batter. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake(3)
Sort By :
Excellent recipe, the cake was very light and cakey, very nice, will make again, tastes better than the "rhubarb dessert cake" posted here.
My husband isn't a fan of rhubarb, but I snuck this one in and he loved it. My father-in-law requests it and my sons love it too!
May God bless you each and every day Frances Beechner.You go girl.I am 71 years old and thank God every day that I can still work as a nurse and help take care of others.I still work 8 hours a day.I say why should we just sit in a rocking chair just because we get to retirement age.I plan on working as long as the good Lord lets me.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Jello Pudding Cake >
- Mother's Day Dessert Recipes >