Old-Fashioned Eggnog Recipe
- 12 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream and additional nutmeg, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 1-qt. of milk. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°, about 25 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath; stir frequently until cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, beat cream in a bowl on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled mixture. Pour into a chilled 5-qt. punch bowl. If desired, top with dollops of whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg. Yield: 18 servings (about 3 quarts).
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Eggnog in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p14
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Eggnog
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2014
best eggnog I have had