Pear lovers will find it hard to resist going back for seconds (and maybe even thirds) of this old-fashioned cake. Almond extract beautifully complements the pears and tender cake.—Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
- 4 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, ginger and lemon juice; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, confectioners' sugar, butter and extract until blended. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended. Stir in pear mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Almond Pear Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p145
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Almond Pear Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2013
"Super easy to make. The results were outstanding. Will make this again and again!"