Pear lovers will find it hard to resist going back for seconds (and maybe even thirds) of this old-fashioned cake. Almond extract beautifully complements the pears and tender cake.—Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
- 4 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, ginger and lemon juice; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, confectioners' sugar, butter and extract until blended. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended. Stir in pear mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Almond Pear Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p145
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Almond Pear Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2013
"Super easy to make. The results were outstanding. Will make this again and again!"