- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2-2/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk the next five ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in oats.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, cream shortening, confectioners' sugar and marshmallow creme. Add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forOatmeal Sandwich Cookies
"Ive made many recipes from.TOH that my SS kids loved...this one no. The kids simply hate oatmeal lol. However, the adults gobbled them up esp Preacher. I would make again for a fellowship."
"My toddler usually only nibbles the edge of any given cookie and then says its yucky. I made these and he ate 5 in one night!"
"These are the BEST. Every time I bake these they are a great success. I never have any left overs."
"Every time I have made these they have always turned out crunchy on the outside and undercooked in the middle. I have tried adding more flour and it seemed to help a bit. I will look for a better oatmeal cookie recipe to pair with the cream filling."
"Made this recipe this week for my hubby who is an oatmeal cookie fan. He absolutely loves them. Shared some with the neighbors and was told they are the best ever !!!!! Excellent recipe and it really looks like it is a lot more work that it is."
"Absolutely amazing! The texture of the cookie is perfect. The filling adds just the right amount of sweetness. They are awesome!!"
"Very bland cookie would not make them again!"
"These are as good, no better than the store bought version. These are super delicious!!!!"
"I made these and everyone that tried them, loved them. Definitely a keeper."