Mushroom Potato Soup Recipe
A buttery mushroom flavor blends with potatoes, leeks and carrots to make this soup hearty and warming. A big steaming bowl hits the spot on a cold fall day. Waxy red potatoes and all-purpose Yukon Golds hold together well in boiling water.
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute leeks and carrots in 3 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the broth, potatoes, dill, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaf from soup. Stir in mushroom mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Mushroom Potato Soup in Country Woman September/October 2005, p37
Reviews for Mushroom Potato Soup(3)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2013
Family ate until they hurt. Cheesy buiscuts on the side are great.
Reviewed Oct. 8, 2013
No adjustments needed. Absolutely amazing as is!!! Simple enough to make to boot!
Reviewed Sep. 26, 2008
This is absolutely delicious and very quick & easy to prepare. My family loved it! "It's a keeper!"
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Soup >
- Mushroom Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Soup >
- Potato Soup Recipes >