Moist Lemon Angel Cake Roll Recipe
- 9 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; lightly coat paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- Carefully spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes.
- Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, peel and food coloring if desired. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving plate; sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Moist Lemon Angel Cake Roll(5)
Sort By :
Made this for Easter. Saw Micheal in Morgantown WV make this. You could use any fruity mixture in it. I would definitely not use a boxed angel food cake mix because the cake was excellent.
I have not tried this yet but it looks good? Could you not save time and use a boxed angel food cake following directions of mixing it and proceed with the rest of the steps of this recipe?
We made this for my Aunt as a late "Happy Birthday" treat when she came down. It was great, but I should have waited for it to cool a bit more because the roll would have stayed more firmly together. For a quick fix, I put it in the refrigerator for a bit & then re-rolled it. Perfect! We served it with fresh strawberries. :]
Have not tried this yet but want to. Attended Michael's school in South Portland on 3/19. He mentioned being able to use instant lemon pudding. Can you give me that recipe???? please send to email@example.com
thank you, a faithful follower and customer
This is easy, light and tasty. Fabulous recipe!!
More Recipe Collections
- Angel Food Cake >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Country Woman Desserts >