Tart and delicious, this pretty cake roll will tickle any lemon lover's fancy. Its feathery, angel food texture enhances its guilt-free goodness.
- 9 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; lightly coat paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- Gently spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes.
- Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, peel and, if desired, food coloring. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving plate; sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Angel Cake Roll in Country Woman February/March 2008, p31
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Moist Lemon Angel Cake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review