Biscuits and gravy are usually prepared separately but served together. I created a way to bake them all at once in this scrumptious casserole.—Nancy Mcinnis, Olympia, WA
Recommended: Classic Southern Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2-1/4 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Discard drippings, reserving 1/4-cup in pan. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until golden brown (do not burn). Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in sausage, pepper, paprika and chili powder. Pour into a greased 13X9-in. baking dish. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix baking mix, sour cream and melted butter until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll dough to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place biscuits over gravy. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 22-25 minutes or until gravy is heated through and biscuits are golden brown.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked biscuits and gravy. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake as directed, increasing time as needed until gravy is heated through and biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Biscuits & Gravy Bake in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p20