- 1-3/4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, onion, celery, broth and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; stir into potato mixture. Add the remaining milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Low-Fat Potato Soup
Sort By :
"The recipe calls for 1 cup of cheese (4 ounces.) 1 cup equals 8 ounces. Therefore, I am thinking you only need 1/2 a cup of cheese."
"Tripled the recipe as I had a lot of potatoes on hand. Only had one can of evaporated milk, so added 1/2 c half half (there goes low fat) and 2 1/4 c skim milk . I also chopped up some carrots and sauteed carrots, celery, onion and 2 garlic cloves in little bit of butter, before adding broth and potatoes and milk. Used low fat cheddar cheese - it was very good"
"No one would ever guess this was low in fat and calories, it is that good! I sauteed the onions & celery in a little bit of light butter for a few minutes, then added the potatoes and broth and continued on with the recipe. I used 2% sharp cheddar cheese and garnished the top with sliced scallions and a couple of slices of crispy bacon. Divine! Hubby said it was the best potato soup ever....10 stars from us!"
"This was super good, quick, and easy."
"I used a 32oz. container of fat free broth and doubled the veggies. Also used 1 cup of Colby Jack cheese instead of reduce fat cheddar. I also used Lawreys seasoning pepper and garlic powder."