Lincoln Log Cake Recipe
To celebrate Presidents' Day, try this treat from Mary Thomas of Hartford, Wisconsin. "My mother always made this cake roll in February," she remembers.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture.
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper. Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in towel, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate, butter and vanilla; stir until melted.
- While frosting is warm, unroll cake and spread half of frosting over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up. Spread remaining frosting over outside of roll. Using tines of a fork, drag along sides of cake to resemble tree bark. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lincoln Log Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p65
Reviews for Lincoln Log Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Desserts >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >