This soup's unique flavor comes from the wonderful combination of allspice, okra, tomatoes, corn, pepper and cloves. Every serving is loaded with nutrition and color.—Clara Coulston, Washington Court House, Ohio
Featured In: Healthy Mardi Gras Recipes
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the green pepper, onion and cloves in butter until vegetables are tender. Discard cloves.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until beans are tender. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Lima Bean Okra Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p111
Reviews for Lima Bean Okra Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 17, 2015
"Simple recipe and it is full of veggies. The cloves and allspice give it a unique and delicious twist on your average vegetable soup."
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2013
"Awesome recipe...loved it :)"