Lemon Gelato Recipe
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Add lemon peel. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; strain. Stir in lemon juice. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Gelato(9)
Sort By :
This is one of the most amazing recipes I have in my recipe box. It tastes like lemons. Everyone who likes lemons LOVES it. I would call it more of a custard, though. I have had gelato and do not care for the texture. The texture of this is SUPERB!
I made this for a birthday coffee party for my mother & her friends. I served it in frozen tiny glass pedestal dessert dishes, garnished with fresh mint sprigs and a raspberry. It was a very big hit. I will absolutely make it again!