These tender cutout cookies have a slight lemon flavor that makes them stand out from the rest. They're very easy to roll out compared to other sugar cookies I've worked with. I know you'll enjoy them as much as we do. —Judy McCreight, Springfield, Illinois
Featured In: 84 Lemon Recipes from Tart to Sweet
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, milk and extract. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 8-9 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 13 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Butter Cookies in Taste of Home October/November 1995, p27
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Butter Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 10, 2009
"I have had this recipe for quite some time now. This has got to be the best cutout cookie recipe I've made. I have subbed other flavors for the Lemon many times."