I made gingerbread cookies for years before realizing my gingerbread-man cutter becomes a reindeer when turned upside down. They’re super crispy and fun! —Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ROYAL ICING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Red Hots
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, whisk flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. gingerbread boy-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- To decorate cookies, place gingerbread boys on a work surface with heads facing you. Pipe antlers onto legs. With icing, attach chocolate chips for eyes and Red Hots for noses. Let stand until set. Store in airtight containers. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Jolly Ginger Reindeer Cookies in Taste of Home December 2014, p64
Reviews for Jolly Ginger Reindeer Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 24, 2014
Reviewed Nov. 8, 2014
"I was really excited to see this recipe! I think almost everyone has that cookie cutter, so its so nice you can get your reindeer & gingerbread men done at the same time!"