The thing that inspires most of my recipes is getting an item that I don't know what to do with and trying to cobble together to use it up. With this one, my brother giving me several jalapeno green peppers was the beginning. Fortunately for me, my husband is a willing guinea pig for my experiments! -Karen Bunzow, Saginaw, Michigan
- 3 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cup chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 7 cups sugar
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- 10 drops red food coloring, optional
- Place cranberry juice and jalapenos in a blender; cover and process until peppers are fully chopped. Strain through a double thickness of cheesecloth.
- Pour the strained juice into a Dutch oven; add vinegar. Stir in sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Add food coloring if desired. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 8 half-pints.
Originally published as Jalapeno Cranberry Jelly in Country Woman July/August 1998, p33
Reviews for Jalapeno Cranberry Jelly
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review