A chef at a local culinary school gave me this recipe, and I've been using it for years. Italian cornmeal cookies are from the Piedmont region of northern Italy. They're not too sweet, and the glazed cherries add just the right touch.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- Red candied cherries, quartered
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornmeal; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a flower or star disk, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Top with cherries.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Italian Cornmeal Spritz Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p37
Reviews for Italian Cornmeal Spritz Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review