- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces whole fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion in oil until sausage is browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, zucchini, broth, mushrooms, water, pesto, wine, vinegar, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Sausage Soup
"This is delicious! Reminds me of pizza as it cooks. This is good without the beans. Add a pinch of salt & hot pepper flakes to taste. I also used turkey Italian sausage links in place of chicken."
"Had leftover chicken sausage and decided to try this soup. Made it exactly as written. Also great to take to work for lunch the next day. Excellent!"
"A family favorite. Leftovers are great when packing your lunch."