Iced Holiday Ornament Cookies Recipe
It wouldn't be Christmas without these sugar cookies, but cut out in different shapes for any holiday theme. Best of all, you can bake and decorating them a week before using and store in a plastic container...make sure the icing is dry before you stack and store them.Lea Reiter, Thousand Oaks, California
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur or orange juice
- 2-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur or additional water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- Food coloring of your choice
- Ribbon, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and liqueur. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. ornament-shaped cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. If hanging cookies, make a hole with a plastic straw about 1/2 in. from the top of each cookie.
- Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Use plastic straw to reopen holes in cookies.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, liqueur and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Tint with food coloring as desired. (Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.)
- Using pastry bags and small round tips, decorate cookies as desired. Let dry at room temperature for several hours or until firm. Thread ribbon through holes if desired. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Iced Holiday Ornament Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p120
Reviews for Iced Holiday Ornament Cookies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cookie Frosting >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >
- Holiday Cookie Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >