Shortbread Ornament Cookies
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- Food coloring of your choice, optional
- Colored edible glitter and nonpareils
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water and extracts until mixture forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar and milk. Divide into small bowls; tint with food coloring if desired. Gently spread over cookies. Decorate as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 133 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 17, 2012
I just made these with my 3 sons and this was by far, the easiest dough to work with when making cutouts. This will be a new traditional Christmas recipe in our house!
Dec 15, 2012
I had to add more water, as it would not come together with only 2 tbsps.
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know how it tastes yet, they're still in the oven, but this dough is sticky yicky and hard to work with! I tried adding more flour while I rolled it out, and water, and refrigerated it for at least an hour. So far they look okay out of the oven, but the dough was extremely goopy and sticky.
Dec 11, 2011
I like this is is not to sweet. When you put the icing on it, it is a great cookie..
Dec 10, 2011
Due to the richness of the dough, it is difficult to work with. Chilling the dough for a bit helps.
Dec 8, 2011
I followed this recipe exactly as written but the dough would not come together. I added 1 Tbsp water (extra) & it took a total of 4 additional Tbsp of water before the dough would come together. I didn't want to add anymore water but it would not roll. I patted the dough flat enough to cut out shapes, & it tasted fine, but it was too much trouble to get the right consistancy. I think there is something wrong with the recipe.
Dec 21, 2009
These cookies were very delicious...I used these to put in gift baskets and everyone just loved the cookies, now I have to make these for Christmas Day as well...