- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 12 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, salt, oregano, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and brown sugar; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 2 quarts.
Reviews for Homemade Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
Sort By :
This is way too sweet for our taste, fairly bland as well. Great use for garden tomatoes, but still searching for a secret ingredient that can give this some flavor and something to take away the sweetness. Very disappointed.
Best sauce I ever made!!!
Excellent! I added fresh basil & doubled the garlic.
This sauce is sweeter than I like. Of course, next time I can reduce the sugar but does anyone have any idea what I can do for this completed batch to reduce the sweet taste?