- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 12 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, salt, oregano, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and brown sugar; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 2 quarts.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Homemade Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
"I made this last week and we liked it. I cut the salt down to 1 tsp. because we are salt conscious and I didn't have fresh garlic so I used a couple tsp. of dried minced garlic from a jar. I ended up canning the sauce because my freezers are full and I got 6 and a half pints. I also pureed it before I put it in the jars. Looks wonderful. I definitely will make it again."
"I make this every year with the tomatoes from my garden and have tomato sauce all year long. It is great."
"This is way too sweet for our taste, fairly bland as well. Great use for garden tomatoes, but still searching for a secret ingredient that can give this some flavor and something to take away the sweetness. Very disappointed."
"Best sauce I ever made!!!"
"Excellent! I added fresh basil & doubled the garlic."