Homemade Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1-1/4 cups sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add lemon peel; mix well. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt and allspice. Gradually add to the butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a 10-in. tube pan heavily coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan and center tube to loosen. Remove to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the lemon juice and remaining sugar. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved. Using a fork, poke holes in top of cake. Gradually pour hot syrup over cake. Cool completely. Yield: 2 dozen slices.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Homemade Lemon Poppy Seed Cake(1)
Sort By :
We loved this! I didn't have allspice so I didn't us any other flavoring except the lemon zest. Used regular flour - it came out great. I will us a wooden skewer to poke holes next time because the closeness of the fork tines seemed to hold the syrup in those 4 places and it would separate and fall apart when you ate it. Not a big problem just maybe a hint for those that are going to make it.
I love any baked goods with buttermilk. It's magic for me!
Thanks bunches... love your web-site!