- 12 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 4 cups milk; cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, about 30-35 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring until mixture is cool. (If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.) Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.
- To serve, beat cream until soft peaks form. Whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving. Yield: about 3-1/2 quarts.
Reviews for Homemade Eggnog
"Must stir while cooking or it goes lumpy/gritty . Good"
"This was so AMAZING! My family loved it, and it tastes better than what we used to buy from the store. The only thing I would do different is add more nutmeg because I love that nutmeg flavor."
"Excellent recipe! Very smooth but would like a little more thickness to the nog. Yields more than I need, so next time think I will half the ingredients."
"THis is VERY good!!!! I can not buy my favorite kind at the store any more so I've been looking for one to replace it... FOUND IT!!!! right here!!! I do wish I knew how to make it just abit thicker but other then that its perfect!!!!"
"I make this eggnog every year for our Christmas open house and everybody LOVES it. A definite keeper recipe!"
"I ve been making this for years. It never fails. So good!"
"Delicious eggnog! Very easy to prepare, and I definitely will be making it again."
"I never liked eggnog until I made this. I do not buy eggnog in the store because nothing tastes like this recipe! Yummy!!"