- 12 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 1 qt. of milk. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, about 30-35 minutes.
- Pour into a large heat proof bowl; stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until mixture is cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, beat cream in a large bowl on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. Pour into a chilled 5-qt. punch bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Yield: 3-1/2 quarts.
Reviews for Homemade Eggnog(7)
Sort By :
This was so AMAZING! My family loved it, and it tastes better than what we used to buy from the store. The only thing I would do different is add more nutmeg because I love that nutmeg flavor.
Excellent recipe! Very smooth but would like a little more thickness to the nog. Yields more than I need, so next time think I will half the ingredients.
THis is VERY good!!!! I can not buy my favorite kind at the store any more so I've been looking for one to replace it... FOUND IT!!!! right here!!! I do wish I knew how to make it just abit thicker but other then that its perfect!!!!
I make this eggnog every year for our Christmas open house and everybody LOVES it. A definite keeper recipe!
I ve been making this for years. It never fails. So good!