- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 4 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package (14.4 ounces) frozen pearl onions
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a shallow bowl, mix flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat; shake off excess.
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches, adding additional oil as necessary. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, parsley, bay leaves and remaining salt. Return beef to pan. Bring to a boil. Bake, covered, 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onions and bacon over medium-high heat 10-12 minutes or until bacon is crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Remove stew from oven. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onion mixture to stew; stir in thyme, tomato paste and pepper. Return to oven; bake, covered, 30-45 minutes longer or until beef and onions are tender.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs from stew. Stir in mushrooms. Serve stew with egg noodles. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Holiday Beef Bourguignon in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p61
Reviews for Holiday Beef Bourguignon
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review