- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup almond paste
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, almond paste and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Gradually add flour just until moistened.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sugar; top with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Holiday Almond Bars
"I was so excited to try this recipe. Everything went great until I tried to cut them for the cookie exchange I was going to. They were rock solid! I broke a butter knife (a metal butter knife!) trying to cut them and finally had to just throw the entire pan away with the bars still in them. I had to run to the store to buy cookies to take to the exchange."
"I make these for a lot of get togethers, they are now one of my favorites! Pretty easy too!"
"OK, so I made this recipe and it is delicious. Now to answer the big question, "where do you purchase almond paste". Well, I solved that by going online to Taste of Home and got recipe for Amond Paste and made my own. Simple, easy, delicious. And WAY cheaper, even IF I could find it in the store."
"I haven't tried these yet, but they look amazing, I love almond paste. Only problem is, I too do not know where to buy it, have looked everywhere."
"Where does one find almond paste?"
"Love the almond flavor in these! Big hit!"
"This is the best bar cookie I have ever eaten. Will be a must at future holiday events. Thanks!!"
"I made with 1 3/4 cups of sugar in the batter and added an almond flavored confectioners glaze while warm instead of the sprinkled sugar. Big hit!"
"Made for family at Christmas. I had to make it twice and everyone wants the recipe. I put the almonds on top of the dough, pressed them in a bit, then put on the sugar. That way the almonds don't fall off."
"These are amazing! I "discovered" the recipe about a month ago: and I have made them five or 6 times! Yummy! Everyone I shared them with has raved and asked for the recipe.I also like that the star of the show: the almond paste - has a long shelf life - so you can make them anytime!"