- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 3 cups chopped fresh portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 7 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Additional minced fresh basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Press 1/4 cup hash browns onto the bottom and up the sides of each of 12 greased muffin cups; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in butter until tender. Add garlic, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, basil and cayenne.
- Divide eggs among potato-lined muffin cups. Top with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Garnish with additional basil if desired. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Hash Brown Nests with Portobellos and Eggs
"Need to precook hashbrown cups, less mushrooms, and 1 is not a big enough serving"
"Very good!! Subbed with ham and cheddar and 'sauteed' the mushrooms & onion with the butter in the microwave. . . it's a lazy kinda Sunday and they came out great :) I think next time I will pre-bake the hash brown nest to make them a little crispy."
"Nice variety for breakfast. I decreased the quantity of mushrooms to 2 cups. One was not enough to call a meal, but no guilt eating 2 as still low in calories. Tastier the next day, reheated well."
"These are very good. I would go with a little less mushroom next time."
"Very yummy, and looks impressive for the effort. Needs light salt over the potatoes, and a bit mixed into the eggs as well. We love that they are a healthy breakfast."