Haddock Chowder Recipe
“Warming bowls of this chilly weather chowder can include most any type of seafood or whitefish. We especially like it with haddock, cod or grouper. Crispy rolls and a green salad complete the meal.” —Eleanor Atteridg, Rolesville, North Carolina
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 pound haddock fillets, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender.
- Place bay leaf and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to saucepan. Stir in the potato, water and wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the haddock, dill, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into chowder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cream; heat through (do not boil). Discard spice bag. Stir in bacon. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Haddock Chowder in Country Woman February/March 2009, p22
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Haddock Chowder(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 30, 2009
I just made this tonight and it was a hit with the whole family. Very easy to make and so much flavor! Will definately make again.