Grammy's Oat Rolls Recipe
I make almost all of my own breads and rolls, and everyone in the family is a very eager tester. This is the recipe they request most often. Leftovers can be wrapped in foil and frozen.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey, divided
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, whole wheat flour, butter, 2 tablespoons honey, molasses and salt. Stir in boiling water; cool to 110°-115°. Dissolve yeast in warm water; add remaining honey and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir yeast mixture into oat mixture with egg and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 rolls.
Originally published as Grammy's Oat Rolls in Best of Country Breads 2000, p46
Reviews for Grammy's Oat Rolls(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review