- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon honey, divided
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, whole wheat flour, butter, 2 tablespoons honey, molasses and salt. Stir in boiling water; cool to 110°-115°. Dissolve yeast in warm water; add remaining honey and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir yeast mixture into oat mixture with egg and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 rolls.
Originally published as Grammy's Oat Rolls in Best of Country Breads 2000, p46
Reviews for Grammy's Oat Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 13, 2011
"A nice soft, but wholesome, roll that would be great with a bowl of soup. I will definitely make these again!"
Reviewed Mar. 10, 2011