- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 10 cups)
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chow mein noodles
- 3/4 cup salted cashews, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients until blended. Pour 3/4 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Preheat broiler. Drain chicken, discarding marinade in bag. Place chicken in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Broil 4-6 in. from heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°. Cut chicken into strips.
- Place spinach on a serving platter. Arrange chicken, oranges, cabbage, carrots and green onions. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles, cashews and sesame seeds. Stir reserved molasses mixture; drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Ginger-Cashew Chicken Salad
"I have made this several times......LOVE IT!!!"
"Instead of making my own dressing, I used Panera brand Caesar Dressing; and added peanuts instead of cashew pieces. Delicious! Thank you, Shelly, for sharing your recipe; and congratulations for having your recipe chosen for the Sept/Oct issue."
"This recipe is easy and delicious. I did not have molasses, so I use 1/2 cup honey and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Also, I did not have fresh ginger, so I used 1 teaspoon ground ginger. I cut the chicken in bite size pieces, before I marinated, and I saut?ed the chicken in a skillet on top of the stove, instead of broiling. I was a keeper, as my husband told me. We will making this several this summer."