- 12 medium potatoes
- 12 bacon strips
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Peel and slice into a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the next six ingredients. Gradually stir in water and vinegar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more or until thickened. Pour over potatoes; toss to coat. Crumble bacon and gently stir into potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for German Potato Salad for a Crowd
"This has become one of my husband's favorite dishes. When asking for suggestions as to what I should make, this is his first response. We love it!"
"hit the spot."
"Nice standard German Potato Salad recipe. However, I left out the mustard powder and forgot to add in the parsley. Still delicious!"
"This was wonderful! Served at a small gathering and it was almost all gone. Delicious!"
"I made this for a ladies luncheon and it was definately a hit! Everyone took seconds and thirds! I left the skins on the potatoes. So many recipes are overpowering on the vinegar but this one was just right!"
"When I was in high school, I took this recipe to my German class. We had a foreign exchange student from Germany join us for the day. He said it tasted just like his mom's potato salad."
"CAn this be made with Smart Balance Mayo without affecting the taste?"