Ganache-Topped Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 ounces 53% cacao dark baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces 53% cacao dark baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Place chocolate and butter in a large bowl; add boiling water and stir until smooth. Stir in the sugar, buttermilk, egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; beat into chocolate mixture just until blended.
- Transfer to a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Place rack on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Slowly pour ganache over cake, allowing some ganache to drape over the sides. Refrigerate until serving. Cut into wedges. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Ganache-Topped Chocolate Cake
Sort By :
"One of the easiest and most delicious cakes ever! I made just a few changes by adding orange zest and using 60 % coco for the ganache so there is a contrasting sweetness between it and the cake. This is truly an exceptional dessert recipe.P.S. runny ganache means too much cream."
"It is so quick and easy to make. I can whip it up last minute. The ganache didn't turn out the first time but tried it again and had it turn out. My family likes it."
"Delicious! Love the combination of chocolate and orange."
"The cake tasted excellent. Unfortunately the gnache did not turn out well for me, it was more runny and did not firm up. My kids loved it and it was easy to make."
"I've made this a few times and it comes out great each time. Its a gorgeous dessert whose flavor doesn't disappoint! Only suggestion, line bottom of pan with parchment paper."