- 5 eggs, separated
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over barely simmering water, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in chocolate mixture. With clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife. Remove rim from pan. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Flourless Chocolate Torte
"This recipe went together easier than I first thought it would, and came out perfect! Great chocolate flavor plus it was very moist and not too heavy. I dusted with powdered sugar and put a dollop of real whipped cream on top- loved it!"
"I made this dairy free by substituting coconut oil for the butter and it was fabulous."
"Loved this cake! I was hesitant to try it as I've never made a cake without flour before. Came out very nice, with a smooth texture and great flavor. Definitely will make again."