- 5 eggs, separated
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over barely simmering water, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in chocolate mixture. With clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife. Remove rim from pan. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Flourless Chocolate Torte in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Flourless Chocolate Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review