- 5 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes and onion; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, water, mustard seed and cayenne. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute.
- Pour over tomatoes and onion; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Add cucumber; toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Fire and Ice Tomatoes
Sort By :
"This is a delightful recipe! The cayenne gives just an extra little spark (but can easily be left out if you have someone-like my dad-who absolutely can't eat pepper). Great to keep on hand when your garden is going crazy!"
"I have made this recipe many times for potlucks and it is always a hit."
"It was very good and easy to prepare too. I'll probably make it again but with some slight modifications as my husband said it "needed something.""