This recipe gets its unique name from the combination of cool crisp vegetables and the spicy jalapeno and dressing. Folks I serve it to agree this is the best cucumber salad that they've ever tasted.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 small jalapeno, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, green pepper, jalapeno and onion; set aside. Combine the next seven ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Pour over vegetables. Let stand until mixture comes to room temperature. Stir in cucumbers. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Drain before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 57 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Fire-and-Ice Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.