"I USUALLY used a glass or baking powder can lid as a cutter so the biscuits would be bigger than average size...and I always baked some extras to send home with the kids. They liked to split them and fill them with cheese or peanut butter and strawberry jam."
- 6 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the baking mix, sugar and yeast. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough warm water to form a soft and slightly sticky dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 3-4 times.
- Roll dough to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. round biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Brush tops with melted butter. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Feather-Light Biscuits in Reminisce May/June 1995, p47
Reviews for Feather-Light Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 7, 2013
"Very good my family loves them."